Hi everyone! We all know the importance of keeping everything as natural as possible before, during, and after our total knee replacements. Luckily, I have a guest post to share that is written by a tkr patient, Tamara Lujan, who is a holistic healing practitioner and herbalist with more than 27 years experience in the fields.
Tamara’s article provides valuable insight that is bound to amaze everyone! After reading her article, be sure to click on her links to learn more about her and her offerings. Here goes…Enjoy!
Nine weeks ago, at age 53, I had total knee replacement surgery. Some health issues and past surgeries placed me at higher risk for infection, skin tissue breakdown & blood clots. I decided to use natural treatments, dietary changes and herbs, to help ensure an easier recovery; reduce the risks of infection and inflammation; and help prevent blood clots.
As a holistic health practitioner I want people to be proactive in their health and total knee replacement surgery is no exception. I personally started by researching doctors and hospitals, finding information on everything from a doctors success rates to hospital infection percentages. I also began working on having my body in the best possible health prior to surgery. Here are 10 natural ways you can prepare for TKR.
1. Eliminate alcohol – Alcohol increases the risks of complications and slows down the recovery process.
2. Water â€“ Water boosts your immune system, flushes toxins and helps keep you regular. I recommended about 90 ounces a day for women and 120 ounces for men.
3. Turmeric Extract – Turmeric is a powerhouse for fighting inflammation. Turmeric extract is an easy way to get the dosage you need.
4. Nettle Leaf Infusion â€“ Dried Nettle leaves are a wonderful source of nutrients and are high in essential minerals including iron, calcium, potassium and magnesium. Nettle infusion is a miracle working when it comes to inflammation. It has worked wonders on my fibromyalgia and arthritis. It is approved by the German Commission E for reducing inflammation.
5. Nettle Seed Extract – Fighting chronic pain is exhausting. Nettle seed helps build your energy in the short term. Take up to 1 week prior to surgery.
6. Shiitake Mushrooms – at least 2 x a week (great in Miso soup!). This mushroom helps prevent thrombosis. Discontinue using 2 weeks prior to surgery.
7. Seaweed – 2 x a week. I put this in my Miso, on salads or simply to snack on. Helps prevent inflammation. Discontinue using 2 weeks prior to surgery.
8. Homeopathic Arnica Montana 30x â€“ Used to reduce bruising, swelling and joint pain. Discontinue use 1 week prior to surgery.
9. QUERCETIN with BROMELAIN – to help build immune system and for reducing inflammation. Speak with your doctor as to recommendation on use beyond 2 weeks prior to surgery.
10. Improve your muscles and body systems – Try yoga, massage and acupuncture. These can help limber you up, reduce inflammation, and keep the lymphatic and blood system flowing.
My knee surgery went great. Based on the damage to my knee and a pre-op ROM of just 68 degrees, everyone was very surprised at my recovery and that in just 7 weeks post-op, I was at a 100 degree ROM!
*Please let your doctor and pharmacist know of any herbal and supplements you are taking.
Bio: Bio ~ Tamara Lujan is a holistic health practitioner and herbalist with over 27 years of experience. She believes in a â€œwholisticâ€ approach to healing, which includes using whole foods and herbs to help the body heal and perform at its best. Tamara owns Farmacology Organics where you can find her organic herbal products. Her Farmacology Organics Facebook page has over 75,000 followers. Her blog Farmacology Organics provides information on using whole foods, nutrition, herbs and green living for a healthier life.
Find interesting? Kindly share…Thanks!