Hi everyone! We all know the importance of keeping everything as natural as possible during the entire total knee replacement process. Here is a guest post written by a tkr patient, Tamara Lujan, a 27-year practitioner of herbal and holistic healing. Below find 10 natural ways to prepare for total knee replacement surgery.
Nine weeks ago, at age 53, I had total knee replacement surgery. Some health issues and past surgeries placed me at higher risk for infection, skin tissue breakdown & blood clots. I decided to use natural treatments, dietary changes and herbs, to help ensure an easier recovery; reduce the risks of infection and inflammation; and help prevent blood clots.
As a holistic health practitioner I want people to be proactive in their health and total knee replacement surgery is no exception. I personally started by researching doctors and hospitals, finding information on everything from a doctors success rates to hospital infection percentages. I also began working on having my body in the best possible health prior to surgery.
1. Eliminate alcohol – Alcohol increases the risks of complications and slows down the recovery process.
2. Water – Water boosts your immune system, flushes toxins and helps keep you regular. I recommended about 90 ounces a day for women and 120 ounces for men.
3. Turmeric Extract – Turmeric is a powerhouse for fighting inflammation. Turmeric extract is an easy way to get the dosage you need.
4. Nettle Leaf Infusion – Dried Nettle leaves are a wonderful source of nutrients and are high in essential minerals including iron, calcium, potassium and magnesium. Nettle infusion is a miracle working when it comes to inflammation. It has worked wonders on my fibromyalgia and arthritis. It is approved by the German Commission E for reducing inflammation.
5. Nettle Seed Extract – Fighting chronic pain is exhausting. Nettle seed helps build your energy in the short term. Take up to 1 week prior to surgery.
6. Shiitake Mushrooms – at least 2 x a week (great in Miso soup!). This mushroom helps prevent thrombosis. Discontinue using 2 weeks prior to surgery.
7. Seaweed – 2 x a week. I put this in my Miso, on salads or simply to snack on. Helps prevent inflammation. Discontinue using 2 weeks prior to surgery.
8. Homeopathic Arnica Montana 30x – Used to reduce bruising, swelling and joint pain. Discontinue use 1 week prior to surgery.
9. QUERCETIN with BROMELAIN – to help build immune system and for reducing inflammation. Speak with your doctor as to recommendation on use beyond 2 weeks prior to surgery.
10. Improve your muscles and body systems – Try yoga, massage and acupuncture. These can help limber you up, reduce inflammation, and keep the lymphatic and blood system flowing.
My knee surgery went great. Based on the damage to my knee and a pre-op ROM of just 68 degrees, everyone was very surprised at my recovery and that in just 7 weeks post-op, I was at a 100 degree ROM!
*Please let your doctor and pharmacist know of any herbal and supplements you are taking.
Tamara Lujan is a holistic health practitioner and herbalist with over 27 years of experience. She believes in a holistic approach to healing, which includes using whole foods and herbs to help the body heal and perform at its best. Visit Tamara at Farmacology Organics.
Find this tkr blog post about 10 natural ways to prepare for your total knee replacement interesting? Kindly share…Thanks!
AUTHOR NOTE: Booktoots’ Healing helps total knee replacement patients find support throughout recuperation and beyond. Its mission is for patients to understand they are not alone in their ordeal with either a tkr or other physicality concerns.
This award-winning site is owned and operated by Marie Buckner, a published author, tkr blogger, and tkr patient who has been living with various physical conditions for over 40+ years. She enjoys sharing her experiences to help others going through the same thing.
Marie is also a proud WEGO Health Patient Leader. https://www.wegohealth.com.