I found this informative article online at Everydayhealth.com about how to preserve your bones. Seeing that us tkr people like our bones, I thought it would be fun to share….
* Lifestyle changes that will help you keep bone loss at bay include:
* Exercise regularly, any form of physical activity such as Pilates, walking, bicycling, etc.
* Avoid smoking and excessive coffee, alcohol, or soft drinks, all of which can decrease your bone density.
* Continue to take calcium and vitamin D; make sure you get a minimum of 1,200 mg of elemental calcium and * 800 IU of vitamin D per day. Avoid high doses of vitamin A in supplements.
* Eat plenty of leafy green vegetables, fruit, whole grains, and seaweed products â€” all good sources of calcium and vitamins.
* Try to eat low-fat sources of protein and avoid refined carbohydrates and sugar.
* Maintain a healthy body mass index (BMI), a measure of body fat based on height and weight: 18 to 25 percent body fat is considered normal.
* Get outdoors during daylight for at least 15 minutes two to three times per week. Sun exposure triggers the natural production of vitamin D, a key nutrient for healthy bones.
* Strength training, weight lifting